Monday, July 4, 2011

Candleplace

I needed something as a centerpiece for my outdoor coffee table and I knew I wanted something with candles.  Therefore, I came up with this idea for a "candleplace". 



It was very simple to construct and it works well for what I wanted on the table.  The glass helps to shelter the flame and gives it a nice glow, especially in the evening!
 To build the box, I used scrap wood left over from building the outdoor furniture.  

Bottom of box - 13 1/2" x 5" (pine)
Sides - 13 1/2" (cut from 1x4 pine)
Ends - 6 1/2" (cut from 1x4 pine)

Assemble the box using wood glue and wood screws.



Next, I took the inside measurement of the box and cut my glass to fit (on the inside).  I cut the glass to measure 8" high.  I assembled the glass box using hot glue, but I'm sure there are products out there specifically used for glass.  I was only using what I had on hand at the time. 





The box was a little boring, as is, so I decided to make some "chunky" handles for the ends.  Just a note...the handles are decorative only!    Using more scrap 1x4 pine, I made the handles to look like this...





I spray painted the handles with Krylon's Oil Rubbed Bronze and painted the box with my new favorite blue paint.  When dry, I used an old chip brush to apply a dark brown paint over the blue paint.  I lightly sanded all surfaces with 220-grit sandpaper.




I attached the handles with a bit of wood glue and wood screws.  Make sure to pre-drill so the wood does not split.  Insert the glass, add some river rocks and candles and there you have it, a "candleplace".







Thank you so much for stopping by.  I hope you enjoyed your visit!  Have a great day.
Lesa

16 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! What a great job you did and I'm sure you're going to enjoy using this 0 - indoors or out!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! Wonderful design for using candles outdoors. You did a great job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented! What a beautiful project! Your blog is awesome! You are a woman after my own heart with all the burlap and wood projects! Keep the wonderful projects coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a talented woman! This is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your "candleplace"! It has a rustic yet glamorous look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is such a great idea. I wish I was as crafty as you. Great job!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Featuring it on my FB page today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! Cute idea and great job!!
    Thank you so much for sharing this @ {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    I can't wait to see more from you on Sunday!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very impressive! Love the addition of the glass. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Turned out great. I am so impressed that you made that glass box yourself. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! It looks beautiful on your table.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE it! Everything about it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome idea for your outdoor space; loving the soft blue colors in the background too.

    ReplyDelete