Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Outdoor Floorcloth

Are you getting tired of my outdoor projects?  Well, here's another one to add to the list...my outdoor floorcloth.



There's nothing new about the idea, just alot of fun to make and you can design them to any size you want and to go with any decor, inside or outside!  Mine measures approximately 3 1/2 feet x 5 1/2 feet.  I used a vinyl floor covering remnant which I picked up for $21.00.  I would have liked one much bigger, however, the remnants were running anywhere from 80.00 to over 100.00 and I just didn't want to pay that price. 


Back of the vinyl flooring

Front of the vinyl flooring

I trimmed the ends to make them square and then applied a coat of primer to the back of the vinyl.  When dry, I applied that great blue paint as a basecoat.  (I love that color!) 



I didn't want to spend alot of time on this project so I didn't put alot of thought into the design.  I knew I wanted stripes, so I used painter's tape and, well, made different width stripes.  I just "eyeballed" it to make sure they were straight.  Hopefully, they are straight!  I painted on dark brown stripes, white stripes and beige stripes. 





I thought I was done, but it was looking a bit boring so I found a can of orange paint (have no idea where the orange came from!) and added three small orange stripes to give the floorcloth a bit of a "punch".  I think it did the trick.  After everything completely dried, I added an exterior varathane in a satin finish to seal it.  That's it!




Thank you for stopping by and taking a look.  Hope you have a great day!
Lesa

18 comments:

  1. what a great idea, it turned out beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is truly BEAUTIFUL! I was thinking of making one of these for my patio, but wasn't sure if it would hold up. You'll have to update us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. luv luv the idea, I was wondering if there's anything that can be added to make it slippery proof.

    Don't forget to add it to our weekly party for our readers to discover.
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/07/weekly-talent-search-with-linking-party.html
    Thanks
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. New idea or not, it's very pretty:) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful job! I would not have thought about using a vinyl remnant, I have always seen them made out of canvas. Canvas would not work very well outside though. Love the stripes pattern you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome idea!! I didn't know you could paint vinyl like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that looks fabulous! Love the colors you chose! Thanks for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse party. I'll be featuring this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I need to add this idea to my "to do" list.
    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never get tired of your outdoor projects! Your rug turned out great and it all looks so beautiful! Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sooo doing this!!! Love the pop of color it adds to your porch!! So cute!! Thanks for sharing! Stopped by from Flaunt it Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to tie all your pieces together and add some punch to the area. I'm totally inspired to do this for my patio. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! I am currently "redoing" my front porch...great idea!

    christyscuties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You might say there's nothing new about this project but believe it or not I hadn't seen it before! I think the orange stripe was the perfect touch. Made the stripes POP!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just fantastic! I love the colours you used too. I just had to link it to my outdoor entertaining post today, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Howdy. I'm wondering how it held up in the weather/sun/rain... I would like to do this for a porch that is partially covered but would still be subjected to weather. Did it fade or peel? Thanks! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Furniture is what turns your house into a home.We are running our Furnitures over 25 years and we are one of the leading wooden carved bed

    ReplyDelete