Sunday, February 3, 2013

"M" is for...

Here's a quick project I'd like to share with you...



First I made an "M" pattern on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper.



I then traced it onto a scrap piece of wood and cut it out using my scroll saw.



I used a scrap piece of tin that I found out behind our wood shed.    It was similar to the weight of metal/tin flashing - thin enough to easily cut with metal shears.




I then traced my pattern onto the tin and cut it out with metal shears.    Make sure to wear gloves when doing this because the metal has very sharp edges.



I then secured the metal "M" to the top of my wood "M" by drilling holes through both the tin and the wood and then hammering rivots in place.






I used a metal file along the sides to remove the sharp metal edges.  I rounded the metal with the file to make the wood and tin look like one piece.



I applied a grey paint color to the sides of the wood to blend with the metal  and then polished the metal surface with fine steel wool using a circular motion.



It was a bit too shiny so I wet the steel wood (slightly) and applied a "dab" of black paint to the steel wool.  I repeated the polishing process.   The black helped tone down the metal and bits of color settled around the rivots.




Now I have one accessory to add to my shelving...




Thank you for stopping by...

Lesa

9 comments:

  1. That is extremely cool!! Love the rivets you added! Nice job.

    Jeannine @ The Concrete Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this! I'll take one that spells JUNK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this. I collect initial/monogram decor and this is something a little different I haven't seen everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I totally love it! Great job!
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I’m new follower of your blog and would like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/02/clever-chicks-blog-hop-20-and-lollipop.html





    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so creative, Lesa! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just stumbled on your blog. I really like your stuff. As a woodworker myself, I am not easily impressed. I am impressed with your creativity and the quality of your work. I LOVE rivets and love metal with wood but haven't worked with metal. I've been wanting to try it. Where did you get the rivets? If at a big box store, what department and what *exactly* are they called.

    ReplyDelete