Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Before and After Nightstand

I had this nightstand stored in the shed.  At one time, it was white, had two drawers and had a home in my daughter's bedroom.  But, over the years it's been painted and pulled apart and now looks like this...


I thought with a little TLC I could fix it up and maybe my daughter can use it in her home.  First thing I did was put a piece of plywood in the bottom...


Next, I sanded the entire piece to remove any lumps and bumps.  Then I gave it a couple of coats of paint. (Sand Bar)


After the paint dried, I lightly sanded the nightstand using 220-grit sandpaper.  I sanded it a bit heavier along the edges to reveal the dark brown paint underneath.  I removed the sanding dust and applied Danish Oil in a medium walnut color to give the paint an aged look.


It needed something more, so I decided to make a canvas curtain for the front.  Again, just the canvas was a bit boring, so I made a burlap ruffle and added that to the bottom of the curtain.  I used a piece of dowel for the rod and two cup hooks for the brackets.



It still needed something to give it a bit of interest so I gave the top a tattoo.  I found the bird image after doing a "google" search and applied it using my freezer paper transfer method.



Now, I think it's done.  I hope my daughter likes it! 


Thank you for stopping by...have a great day!

Lesa

13 comments:

  1. I love the bird on it!!! And the ruffles. OH MY so cute!!!
    love it all
    following you now
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that looks so cute!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet little birdie... it adds the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute, love the ruffles. Would love for you to link up with us at www.thesasselife.com
    Hope to see you there
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. the new looks is outstanding great job

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing!! The little bird and the ruffles are the perfect touch! Thank you for linking to It's a Party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice and bookmarked your freezer paper method for transferring images again :)
    Visiting from MMS Linky Party today,
    ~Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow quite the transformation. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this table!! Thanks for sharing it at my link party. I wanted to let you know that I will be featuring it tomorrow!
    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for sharing !! going to try this soon, will let u know. a beauty of a creation..great job !!! Leslie

    ReplyDelete